If youre making music in SL, I suggest you to use free-licensed music (in most cases, this means a Creative C ommons license). Here are some advantages of free-licensed music:
- you don’t have to pay money
- you don’t have to ask permissions
- you don’t have to follow silly limitations as “how-many-times-did-i-play-this-song-today”
- you’re complying with the law
- authors are happy with that
Authors that choose a free license want people freely using and sharing their music. Uphold their work!
I will provide here some free-licensed-music resources links. Follow them, in most cases you also will find a stream URL for these albums. This should make easy their use in SL.
These ones are not direct links to mp3 files: you will have to browse the websites, listen to the music and choose it. That’s what DJs usually do before playing music, actually 😉
More than 8000 music albums (electronic, indie, house, rock, industrial and many more):
Live concerts recordings:
Lots of other audio stuff:
A list of curators of Creative Commons-licensed content (also music):
You may also be interested in the CC SL Salon. Its goal is to build a community in SL around CC licenses and standards through events and projects:
You may also want to join the Creative Commons Community and Creative Commons HQ SL groups or visit Kula island. Just use the Search with the “creative commons” searchkey.
Please help expanding this resource kit:
- feel free to IM Signore Iredell
- contribute to the CC SL wiki
- participate to the CC groups